National accreditations and third-party certifications of excellence attest to Harris Health System's commitment to quality healthcare and the sophistication of our medical and surgical services. Examples include:
• Ben Taub and LBJ Hospitals are designated as Level I and Level III Trauma Centers, respectively, by the Texas Department of State Health Services for meeting or exceeding American College of Surgeons’ essential criteria for Level I and Level III trauma care.
• In its March, 2011 edition, U.S. News and World Report ranked Harris Health System among the region’s best hospitals in Diabetes & Endocrinology and Urology care.
• Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Services at Quentin Mease Community Hospital is accredited by CARF, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
• The Harris Health System Sleep Disorders Center at Quentin Mease Hospital is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine; and is among a few of the 130 centers in the Houston area to be accredited.
• The Ben Taub Hospital Noninvasive Vascular Lab is accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories.
• Achieving the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for health system quality, indicating the system's excellence in patient pre-operative education, post-operative pain management, infection control and other measures.
In addition to such prestigious outside recognition, Harris Health System takes pride in its self-designated Centers of Excellence which include Cancer Care, Cardiology, Community Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, HIV/AIDS Care, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Sleep Disorders, Trauma Care and Women & Infants Services. Each center of excellence offers comprehensive care and is staffed by a team of skilled physicians, nurses and other healthcare practitioners who have all undergone specialty training in their medical and/or surgical area of expertise, and continue to do so on an ongoing basis.
Read about Harris Health System's other services.