Harris Health System's mission is to improve our community's health by delivering high-quality healthcare to Harris County residents. While medical care is not free at our facilities, there is financial assistance for those who qualify.
Based on your household income, you may qualify for partial financial assistance, on a sliding scale. To qualify for financial assistance, household income may not exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.
All Harris Health patients are asked to make a minimum payment at the time of their hospital or clinic visit, except for pediatric and prenatal care visits. Service fees do not apply to patients in the Healthcare for the Homeless Program or other insurance plans. Insurance plan copays will be collected according to plan requirements.
Harris Health’s Financial Assistance Program is not an insurance plan. Harris Health does not provide health insurance coverage under the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace Exchange.
To apply, simply mail your application (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) to: Harris Health Financial Assistance ProgramP.O. Box 300488Houston, TX 77230713- 566-6509
Or, drop off your application along with verification proofs at the nearest eligibility center.
As a new requirement for completion of your Harris Health Eligibility, every household member over the age 18 must sign and date on the application to allow Harris Health to check TWC information.
APPEALS PROCESSIf you disagree with the eligibility determination stated on the Harris Health System Notice you received, please complete an appeals form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) and mail within 65 calendar days from the date of your notice to:Eligibility Appeals CommitteeHarris Health SystemP.O. Box 300488Houston, TX 77230
Please make and give Harris Health copies of the following papers with your application (This information, papers and signatures are required for Harris Health Financial Assistance and Drug Replacement programs, but may not be required of other programs you may be eligible for, like Expanded Primary Health Care Program (EPHC) and other Texas Department of State Health Services programs.)
Harris Health's pharmacy staff can sign you up for patient assistance programs to get free medicines from drug companies. You will be asked to sign the Medication Assistance Program (MAP) Consent and Authorization Form (Form #283233) that tells Harris Health to share your personal health information and sign any forms that are needed for you to get free medicine.
1. Identification for you and your husband or wife
a. If you declare common law/informal marriage on the application and have DSHS Form VS-180.1, this form will be accepted as a proof of marriage.b. If you declare common law/informal marriage on the application and do not have DSHS Form VS-180.1, please download, print THHSC Form H1057 and complete it. Both parties should date and sign on the form.
And you need a copy of one proof with a picture on it: State issued driver's license, state issued ID card, current student ID, current employee job badge, passport with picture, U.S. Immigration documents, foreign consulate ID card, or agency letter.
If you do not have a picture ID, you need a copy of two proofs: Birth certificate (not for married women), marriage license or Declaration and Registration of Informal Marriage, social security card, other federal document showing your name and address in Harris County, hospital or birth records, adoption papers or records, current Harris County voter card, current check stub, Medicare card or Medicaid card.
2. Address with your name or your husband or wife’s name You need a copy of one proof dated within the last 60 days: Utility bill; check stub; school record for children under the age of 18; mortgage coupon; credit card statement; certification documents or benefit checks from Social Security Administration or Texas Workforce Commission; certification documents from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or SNAP Form TF0001; Agency letter; Medicaid or Medicare letter; letter from recognized social services agency; business mail; statement from a licensed child care provider; or Harris Health System Residence Verification Form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) completed by a non-related person not living in the your house.
You need a copy of one proof dated within the last year: Lease agreement,department of motor vehicles record, property tax document, automobile insurance documents, automobile registration, Harris County voter card, printout from IRS of most current year's tax filing.
3. Gross income for the past 30 days for you, your husband or wife and children over the age of 18 who are living with you Cash income, dividends and royalties, rental property, alimony, workmen's compensation, military pay and allowances, current check stubs, child support documents, current IRS 1040/1040A tax return (all pages) if self-employed, Harris Health System Statement of Self Employment Income Form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) if no tax return is filed, Harris Health System Wage Verification Form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) (for cash and personal check wages only), Social Security award letter, Retirement award letter, Veteran Affairs letter or check, Agency letter, Income on SNAP form TF0001, unemployment benefit records or Harris Health System Statement of Support Form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) if no income.
4. Proof of how you are related to the children living with you who depend on you for support: Birth certificate, baptismal record, proof of full time school enrollment for students ages 18 to 26, Social Security award letter with dependents' names, school documents or insurance documents showing names of both parent and child, U.S. Immigration applications with dependents' names, divorce decree or child support documents, baby's Popras form, birth fact record or hospital armband for infants less than 90 days old, death certificate for previous household members, or U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Refugee Resettlement-Verification of Release Form (ORR UAC/R-1) for Unaccompanied alien child.
5. Immigration status for you, your husband or wife and all your children who depend on you for support:You must show current or expired documents from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
6. Health care coverage for you, your husband or wife and all your children who depend on you for support:Please show current proof of Medicaid, CHIP, CHIP Perinatal, Medicare or health insurance.
7. If you have Medicare and are eligible for Harris health System Financial Assistance Program:You must fill out a Medicare Asset Form (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) and show proof of your current resources and liabilities (all pages of bank statements, credit card bills, loans, etc.).
8. You must fill out papers for programs such as but not limited to CHIP, CHIP Perinatal, Medicaid, TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), SSI (Supplemental Security Income), Title V or Healthy Texas Women Program (HTWP) if you can have these programs.
You may drop off your completed application along with verification proofs at one of the following locations.
5.02 Financial Assistance Program
Use this tool to see which Harris Health Discount Plan you may get.
Please answer the three questions below and type your gross monthly household income in the last blank. Gross monthly household income is all the money that all household members get before any deductions.
To get your gross monthly income, if you are not paid monthly:• Paid weekly: gross income times 4.33.• Paid every other week: gross income times 2.17.• Paid twice a month: gross income times 2.• Paid yearly: gross income divided by 12.
If you have Medicare, you must fill out a Medicare Asset Form and show proof of your current resources and liabilities.
Do you live in Harris County?
Do you have Medicare?
Number in your family?
Gross monthly household income?
What do I have to pay to have this program?• You won’t pay anything until you receive services.• Once you receive care in Harris Health System hospitals and clinics, you will begin making one monthly payment per household. This monthly payment will be applied to your already discounted bill. • For prescriptions, you will pay $15 per prescription with a maximum of $50 per pharmacy visit.• Emergency visits will have a copay of $75.
How can I apply for My Harris Health?• You can print out the application, complete it and call 713-566-6509 to schedule an appointment for a face-to-face interview with an eligibility counselor. • See the complete list of documents you will need to bring to your interview, information about education and enrollment fairs and the locations where you can be interviewed. • You must complete a face-to-face interview with an eligibility counselor to be approved for My Harris Health.
When will this program be available?• This program will be available to eligible households starting on March 1, 2016.• You may complete a Harris Health Financial Assistance Program application and interview at any time.